Thursday, March 15, 2018

Spring is Coming - A Time for Change, Hope, and Renewal

A Time for Change, Hope, and Renewal

Moving on to a happier place isn't a straight path.  There are twist, loops, dead ends, and hills to climb along the way.  My journey without Jack is moving forward.  He is with me in so many ways and I can feel and hear him when I stumble or shout for joy.

As part of my journey, I have continued to work on a plan started early in 2017, before the day my world changed.  I want to discontinue shipping of product and the whole cost of goods sold part of my business.  My goal is to reduce my inventory in 2018 to close that part of my business at the end of the year.  I don't know if I will reach that goal, but nevertheless, that is my goal.  To accomplish that, I have been running some great sales of 50% off kits and at or below wholesale lots of some beads.  I have lots of clasps discounted.  I will have some Swarovski in larger lots as I get them counted.  I do it all as I have time.  These sales are mostly in my Etsy shop.  Etsy Shop

Slowing me down is a good news story.  After the sale of our home in Groton, MA, I was able to make a change in Florida I'd only been able to dream of.  I had looked and considered a move several years ago but could not afford it.  Yup, crazy as it sounds, I've bought another house here.  It is about 8 miles from my current house.  It is on a lake.  When I walked into the house,  I teared up when I saw the living room.  It was an overwhelming feeling of "this is right".  I tried to discount it at the time as emotional.  It is emotional, why not?  But we went back to see the house a second time and I felt the same.  Now I'm in the middle of something I would not have chosen to do, fixing things up.  I thought I wanted something 'move in ready'.  This property needed a little updating and TLC.  It is quite therapeutic to get things ready to move in.  The neighborhood is great for walking and sitting on the dock is quite serene.  I'm not there yet but it is now part of my daily routine to do something in the new house while getting my old house ready to sell.  My fall house guests who are teaching at The Beaded Garden in Oxford, FL (The Villages), will be in for quite a change of venue.  Yup, the secret is out.  I host the national teachers at my house for the store.  Oh, let's not get too carried away, I don't cook much, but have a great guest room.  The house comes with cats.

Needless to say, the time required to make this happen, is slowing down some of my plans to close out inventory in 2018.  So we shall see what happens over time.  I'm hopeful but also realistic.

More happy news relates to my book.  I had quite a thrill looking at the proof of my book!  The final copy will be so exciting for me to hold.  It is scheduled for release at Bead and Button in June.  I am using the book patterns to make up some kits for the big Bead and Button show in Milwaukee.  These will be limited  in quantity and not replicated.  I'm trying to use up some special inventory, have some unique kits available, and, at the same time, promote the book.  These kits will come without patterns.  The patterns are in the book.  So if you are going to the big show in Milwaukee, come see me!  The two pictures below are samples of two that I will have.  Needless to say, I'm picking my personal favorite designs for these kits.


My book signing is set for Friday, June 11, 2018, on the show room floor in the Bead and Button area.  I will also have an Artist sales table in the designated area toward the back of the show room.  And of course, I will be at Meet the Teachers.  Receiving this flyer from Bead Smith in one of my orders was quite exciting.  Sherry Serafini's book just released is on the other side.  That sort of blew me away.  I am starting to schedule Book Signings for after Bead and Button.  Locally in Florida, the first official event after Bead and Button is set for The Beaded Garden on June 28 from 3-5pm.  The book is available now for pre-order on Amazon and Kalmbach the publisher.

I am scheduled to teach 3 classes at the Bead and Button show.  At this point, to be honest, one or two may be cancelled due to low sign up.  So do not delay if you are considering classes!  Our cancel date is coming up fast and I will make a decision soon.  At this point, Stained Glass is the only class I can confirm will be held.  I'm excited about it as it will be fun to custom design color kits for the students.



I am hopeful for more sunny than cloudy days in my future.  And at some point, I will start designing again.  I have been in a design void now for months.  When I sit with a pile of beads, I find I am empty of new ideas.  In the mean time, I am enjoying working on my rather large pile of UFO's and kits and working up other designers patterns.  It is all good.

I hope to see many of you at Bead and Button or elsewhere, Bead Cruise maybe?   I look forward for the opportunity to reconnect and to say HI to you!


3 comments:

dragnflylee said...

Such a heartwarming post. Happy for you on the book release and new house. Good luck!

beading betty said...

So glad to learn that you are making such positive decisions in 2018. It is always hard to say good bye to a loved one, but as you said, he is with you in so many ways and that is comforting. Hope to see you soon. Miss you and cant wait to visit the new home.


bizestampin said...

What a beautiful house so very happy for you. Can't wait to see it in person.
Love you.